discover one of Skipton’s best kept secrets!
TOP TIPS FOR BUYING THE PERFECT WEDDING DRESS FROM TENANT CINDERELLA’S
Posted on April 11 2022,
Popular TV shows are giving today’s brides a false impression of the time it takes to find the perfect wedding dress.
But while programmes such as ‘Say Yes To The Dress’ and ‘Don’t Tell The Bride’ suggest great bridal gowns are easily grabbed, Skipton wedding dress retailer Mandy Abramson says it takes time to carefully research designers, reputable stockists and styles to ensure a proper fitting.
Said Mandy who owns Cinderella’s bridal boutique at High Corn Mill: “With ever-changing trends, it can be hard for brides to keep up to date with the latest fashions and styles. For example, we’re seeing a lot more interest in Hollywood glam and shimmering fabrics but the ‘vintage tea party’ style wedding is on the decline.
“While many television programmes make the cycle look super easy and speedy, in reality, the whole process can be a bit of a shock! Realistically, you need seven months to order a gown and allow time for alterations – I see hundreds of brides every year and usually just one in that period fits their dress perfectly!”
As the 2020 wedding season gets underway, these are Mandy’s top tips for choosing a wedding dress:
- Have an open mind. We all know what shapes and sizes suit our body but try to let the store consultant guide you in what style would look best – no one knows those dresses better.
- Limit your number of dress shopping guests. It can be difficult for a bride to be heard in a crowd full of opinions and thoughts – Mandy suggests no more than two to three people at a fitting.
- Think choice. Does the shop have a large product range from different designers? How often do they update their stock?
- Take your venue into account. For example, a slim-fit dress may be lost in a large space, but will a large frock fit in a small venue? Or if it’s overseas, will it be too heavy?
- Look at recent reviews. A business might have been great five years ago, but it may not be the same owner. Before visiting, explore what recent customers have to say – join their social media pages and look at how the shop is interacting with other consumers.
Said Mandy: “When it comes to ordering your dress, expect to pay around 50% deposit and if you are buying off the peg, you’ll need to pay in full and take it away with you.
“Do not pay for anything in full unless you are taking the dress with you!
“And be sure to ask for alteration prices before the work is done. If you feel the price is too much, don’t forget you’re entitled to take your dress to be altered elsewhere.”
Cinderella’s has been established since 1999. Based in Skipton’s High Corn Mill, it offers a wide choice of dresses from top UK designers Romantica, Jennifer Wren, Phoenix, Pure, Richard Design, Tiffanys.